This is an excerpt from Attacking Soccer eBook by Jay P. Miller.
Identifying top 5v2 players and potential playmakers
Set up a 10- × 10-yard (9 × 9 m) grid. There are seven total players, with five attackers and two defenders.
- Designate two players to start as defenders in the middle. The five attackers start with the ball on the coach's whistle.
- Players play one touch at 100 percent speed for three 90- to 120-second games, with 60 seconds active rest between games where all players focus on rolling accurate, properly paced passes and receiving the ball with open body positions.
- If defense gets a touch, the defender who's been in the longest and the attacker who played a poor pass trade.
- Passes must be crisp, firm, and rolling on the ground.
- Short support is critical with an open body position to receive and play quickly.
- Third attackers are always showing and moving in the windows between defenders for a split pass.
Read more from Attacking Soccer by Jay Miller.