This is an excerpt from Exercise Technique Manual for Resistance Training 4th Edition With HKPropel Online Video by NSCA -National Strength & Conditioning Association.
- Stand with the feet hip- or shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand, hanging them next to the sides of the body.
- From the upright position, lower the dumbbells to midthigh, at or just above the knees.
- All repetitions begin from this position.
- Start the pull by explosively extending the hips, knees, and ankles while keeping the arms extended.
- Thrust the shoulders up and back and the hips slightly forward and up.
- Extend up onto the toes before pulling with the arms.
- Keep the dumbbells close to the body.
- As the lower body becomes fully extended, rapidly shrug the shoulders, and start the pull with the arms.
- Lower to a quarter squat, and rotate the wrists under the dumbbells while moving the elbows up in front of the body to rack the dumbbells on the front of the shoulders.
- Fully stand up, and immediately take a shallow squat while keeping the torso erect and arms stationary (the dip); then explosively extend the hips, knees, and ankles while simultaneously pressing the dumbbells directly overhead (the drive).
In a controlled manner, lower the dumbbells back to the shoulders and then down to the starting position.