Raising the Performance Bar Through a Season
You must log in to watch this webinar recording.
One of the most often used coachisms over the past 20 years is “you never stay the same, you either get better or get worse.” The best coaches guide their athletes and teams on a positive trajectory, developing better confidence, skills, and teamwork each week, if not every practice session.
Though it is common for teams and competitors to have dips in their energy and execution at some point during the season, there are ways to ensure a high standard is maintained. Successful coaches combat prolonged “slumps” and complacency by teaching athletes to focus on the present, embrace challenge, and sticking to high standards despite temptations to settle for “good enough.” This webinar will include a host of coaching strategies to ensure athletes and teams progress closer and closer to full potential through the course of the season.
- Examples of setting effectively high expectations and then teaching athletes to embrace the challenge of meeting them
- Checklists and assessment tools to monitor athletes’ development
- Ways to stay focused on performance, not outcome
- Useful postgame coach reflections and performance analyses
- Guidelines for constructive athlete performance feedback
Dr. Gilbert’s areas of expertise include coaching science, talent development, sport and exercise psychology, physical education, and youth sport. He holds degrees in Physical Education, Human Kinetics, and Education from the University of Ottawa in Canada. Following graduation from the University of Ottawa, Wade worked for one year at UCLA in the International Center for Talent Development. Gilbert has more than 20 years of experience in conducting applied research with partners around the world spanning all competitive levels, from youth leagues to World Cup.
He is widely published and is frequently invited to serve as a featured speaker at national and international events. Dr. Gilbert has advised organizations ranging from school districts, collegiate teams, Olympic organizations, and the United Nations on coaching education and sport-related issues.
Dr. Gilbert is editor-in-chief of the International Sport Coaching Journal, a new journal published by Human Kinetics. In addition, Dr. Gilbert serves as an advisor and representative of Human Kinetics, specifically in the area of coach education.
Game Winning Webinar Series
This fall Dr. Wade Gilbert, a highly sought out coaching and athlete performance consultant to sport organizations around the world, will be conducting three can’t-miss webinars. Each of the hour-long sessions will include several very practical, immediate things coaches can do to gain a winning edge for their teams. Gilbert, also known as Coach Doc on Human Kinetics’ website and consultant to many sports organizations around the world, plans to focus on three aspirations coaches have for achieving success:
Coaches who are able to consistently achieve all three are, indeed, going to have winning, if not championship-winning athletes and teams. Every coach who joins in this webinar series is sure to be a winner, too.
- Kettlebells for Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation
- The Art of Running Faster - Ways to improve your technique, training and performance
- Image and Performance Enhancing Drugs: Myth and Reality
- Bending the Aging Curve: A Periodized Prescription for Improved Aging
- Weightlifting exercises and their derivatives: appropriate application across mesocycles
- Youth Compendium of Physical Activities: An Investigation