2022 National Dance Society Legacy Award
Dr. Gayle Kassing is the consummate professional in the dance field across a broad range—from dancer and teacher at elementary through higher education to administrator, scholar, consultant, and author. Her diverse performance career includes ballet with the Birmingham Ballet and Ft. Worth Civic Ballet, modern dance with the of MidAmerican Dance Company, musical theater in summer stock, and dancing with a Mexican folk dance group.
As a scholar Dr. Kassing has wide-ranging publications in the areas of dance history and curriculum development; her textbooks and curriculum guides are used in universities and schools nationally and internationally, and she is a prolific contributor to research publications and dance journals. From 2001-2017 she was an acquisitions editor in the HPERD division of Human Kinetics Publishing Company.
Dr. Kassing is the recipient of numerous awards, including the 2010 National Dance Association Scholar/Artist and the 2016-17 National Dance Society Scholar awards. Throughout her career, Dr. Kassing has exemplified the highest qualities in dance and fine arts as a performer, teacher, leader, scholar, choreographer, artistic director, presenter, consultant, and editor.
Learn more about each of these dance resources by Dr. Kassing:
- Review of Essentials of Dance Psychology by Dr. Jenny Seham
- Inspiring Creativity - External Focus of Attention in Practice
- Attention and Focus Strategies for Dance Educators | Virtual Launch and Preview
- Review of Music Education for Dancers Online Course
- Understanding and Applying Psychology to Dance
- Review of Essentials of Dance Psychology