Our compensation philosophy is to value the contributions of all HK employees and to reward exceptional performance exceptionally. To do that, we provide a standard increase to all HK staff, and we award merit increases and bonuses to people who make extraordinary contributions to the work we do.
Human Kinetics is committed to paying a fair wage for the work accomplished, with salary ranges based as much as possible on market conditions and internal equity. Job descriptions, market pricing, internal job evaluation, and salary ranges are reviewed annually.
HK's mission is to increase the knowledge, enhance the performance, and improve the health and fitness of all people around the world. We have chosen to invest significant resources in employee benefits that live out that mission in our workplace. We believe that knowledgeable, high-performing, and healthy staff will be engaged and equipped to contribute to our short- and long-term success.
The following benefits round out our compensation package.
- Human Kinetics provides options for medical, dental, vision, and life insurance for employees and their families. Ancillary benefit options include health gap insurance, identity protection, disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, property insurance, and pet insurance.
Health and Wellness Benefits
- HK pays the majority of employee health care costs and those of their family members. At present, HK pays approximately 90% of an individual's health insurance premium and approximately 75% of the premium for eligible dependents. This adds between $8,087.28 (for an individual) and up to $22,486.08 (for an employee plus spouse and children) to a full-time employee's compensation.
- HK maintains an onsite fitness center for employees.
- HK offers a wellness program and rewards participation.
Life Balance Benefits
- HK supports flexible work arrangements for any position that is able to accommodate them and provides computer equipment and cell phone and Internet fee reimbursement to facilitate successful off-site work arrangements.
- HK provides up to 1 day per year of paid school visitation leave.
- HK provides up to 1 paid Mission Day per year for volunteering.
- HK provides up to $2,500 to assist full-time employees with adoption expenses.
- HK pays new parents 50% of normal pay during 4 weeks of their parental leave time.
- HK provides the following additional paid time off benefits:
- Vacation time: between 2 and 4 weeks of vacation per year, based on years of service
- Paid time off: 1 week per year
- Holidays: 7.5 per year
- Floating Holidays: 2 per year
- Summer Hours: 8 to 10 Fridays off during the summer
*Employees who begin employment after July 1, will receive 2.5 days of PTO and 1 floating holiday per year.
- HK provides tuition reimbursement of up to $2,000 per employee per year for approved educational programs.
Financial and Retirement Benefits
- HK offers a 401(k) program. Employees are able to enroll in the company's 401(K) plan after 90 days.
- HK has an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) that employees are eligible for after meeting qualifications. HK makes annual stock contributions to the ESOP on the employee's behalf, and vested employees get the value of their accounts at retirement. The value of each share of stock is determined by an outside appraiser.
- HK pays 7.65% of an employee's salary for Social Security tax.
- HK subsidizes the salaries of cafeteria staff so employees can have a low-cost breakfast or lunch most days of the week and can arrange to take an evening meal home twice a week.
- HK provides free coffee, soda, and tea.