Health for Life provides the keys necessary for adopting healthy habits and committing to healthy living in high school and throughout the life span. The text covers all of the components of personal well-being, including physical, mental, emotional, social, and spiritual health. It provides students the knowledge in making healthy choices and fosters the skill development required for taking healthy actions.
The text is divided into seven units of 20 chapters. The chapters help students explore a range of topics, including mental health, nutrition, physical activity, stress management, healthy relationships, avoiding destructive habits, and making good health choices throughout life.
Health for Life has an abundance of beneficial features that help students connect with content in personal ways and retain the information:
- Lesson Objectives, Lesson Vocabulary, Comprehension Check, and Chapter Review help students prepare to dive in to the material, understand it, and retain it.
- Connect feature spurs students to analyze various influences on their health and wellness.
- Consumer Corner aids students in exploring consumer health issues.
- Healthy Communication gets students to use and expand their interpersonal communication skills as they share their views about various health topics.
- Skills for Healthy Living and Making Healthy Decisions help students learn and practice self-management so they can make wise choices related to their health and wellness.
- Planning for Healthy Living assists students in applying what they’ve learned as they set goals and establish plans for behavior change.
- Self-Assessment offers students the opportunity to evaluate their health habits and monitor improvement in health behaviors.
- Find Academic Connections that relate fitness topics to other parts of the curriculum such as science, language arts, and math.
- Take It Home and Advocacy in Action prepare students to advocate for health at home and in their communities.
- Health Science and Health Technology focus on the roles of science and technology as they relate to health and where science and technology intersect regarding health issues.
- Living Well News challenges students to integrate health literacy, math, and language skills to better understand a current health issue.
In addition, Health for Life is reinforced by its online resources for teachers and students.