Fundamental Movement Skills: Beyond the Fundamentals - A Games Approach
The building blocks for the development of physical literacy
At this time, our website is unable to accommodate tax-exempt orders.
For credit card security, do not include credit card information in email.
First time orders from US Business/Institutional accounts with a tax-exempt certificate must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 217-351-1549. Include a copy of your sales tax-exempt certificate.
Repeat orders may be placed by phone at 1-800-747-5698 or 217-351-5076.
- Introduces and addresses a tactical games approach within the contexts of skill development and fitness games, striking and fielding games, net and wall games, and territorial games
- Focuses on the step-by-step process of using games to develop and refine movement skills in complex sport situations
- Reflects the cognitive and emotional aspects of sport
- Builds on fitness-related concepts such as speed, strength, stamina, coordination, balance, and agility as related to game play
- Uses the learner-centered Teaching Games for Understanding (TGFU) approach
- Provides examples of assessment tools, suggested readings, and useful resources
AudiencePreservice teachers, coaches, and recreational leaders of youths ages 11 through 18 (at the secondary level) who are in the Train to Train and Active for Life stages of the Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD) Model.
Purpose and Design of This Resource
Long-Term Athlete Development Model (LTAD)
A Different Approach to Teaching Games
The Sport Education Model
The Teaching Games for Understanding Model
Using Teaching Games for Understanding
Skill Development and Fitness Games
Net and Wall Games
Striking and Field Games
References and Appendixes
Progressions of Tactical Problems and Solutions by Game Categories
Fundamental Movement Skills Series