BookFor years strength coaches relied solely on one-repetition maximum percentages to select loads for specific phases of program design. Today, however, more and more coaches have turned to velocity-based training for its pinpoint accuracy in measuring athletes’ explosive power through the monitoring of bar and body speeds. As one of the first books of its kind to feature this exciting new method for increasing explosive power, Velocity-Based Training takes an in-depth look into how to best incorporate velocity-based training (VBT) into an athlete’s training program.
Author Nunzio Signore is one of the most in-demand strength and conditioning coaches in New York and has worked with players from the Minnesota Twins, Anaheim Angels, New York Yankees, New York Mets, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Seattle Mariners, to name a few. In Velocity-Based Training, Signore will show you how bring your athletes to greater levels of strength, speed, and power at a faster rate. You will find the following:
- Descriptions of the different types of VBT devices and the pros and cons of each, enabling you to select the best option for your needs
- Instructions on how to use VBT to assess athlete readiness and set specific training parameters for maximum results
- Information on how to use VBT to ensure athletes are training at the appropriate intensity according to where they are in their yearly training plan
- Expert guidance on how to use VBT daily with athletes of various training ages and ability levels
- Sample programming that includes exercises, intensities, and tempos for all four training seasons (postseason, off-season, preseason, and in-season), allowing you to set thresholds that minimize the potential for undertraining or overtraining
CE exam available! For certified professionals, a companion continuing education exam can be completed after reading this book. Velocity-Based Training Online CE Exam may be purchased separately or as part of the Velocity-Based Training With CE Exam package that includes both the book and the exam.
AudienceStrength and conditioning coaches and personal trainers who work with athletes of all levels.
Table of ContentsPart I. What Is Velocity-Based Training?
Chapter 1. Breaking the VBT Code
Chapter 2. Understanding the Metrics
Chapter 3. Tools of the Trade
Part II. Getting Started
Chapter 4. The Special Strength Zones
Chapter 5. Calculating a One-Rep Maximum
Chapter 6. Using Autoregulation and Velocity Loss
Part III. Programming
Chapter 7. Yearly Periodization Using VBT
Chapter 8. Early Off-Season: Tissue Prep and Hypertrophy
Chapter 9. Mid–Off-Season: Submaximal and Maximal Strengths
Chapter 10. Late Off-Season and Preseason: Transfer to Sport-Specific Power
Chapter 11. In-Season: Strength and Power Maintenance
Chapter 12. Sample Programming
I think more valuable book. This book bridge between teorical knowledge and practical application.