Brain-Compatible Dance Education 2nd Edition With Web Resource
Anne Green Gilbert’s Brain-Compatible Dance Education, Second Edition, strikes the perfect balance between hard science and practicality, making it an ideal resource for dance educators working with dancers of all ages and abilities.
Gilbert presents the latest brain research and its implications for dance educators and dancers. She makes the research findings accessible and easy to digest, always connecting the science to the teaching and learning that takes place in classrooms and studios.
This new edition of Brain-Compatible Dance Education features Gilbert’s unique BrainDance warm-up, made up of eight developmental movement patterns for people of all ages, from birth to older adults. This BrainDance warm-up helps dancers improve focus and productivity as it invigorates their minds and bodies and gets their synapses firing.
In addition, this edition offers the following new material:
• 24 new lesson plans geared to all age groups, from birth on up
• New tips and tools to strengthen your teaching skills and provide a foundation for advocating for dance in schools and communities
• A new web resource that includes 11 video clips of BrainDance with variations for diverse audiences, as well as printable lesson plans, posters, charts, and assessment templates
The video clips on the web resource are great teaching aids that show you real-world examples of how the movements are done. The clips show dancers from infants to seniors, from beginners to advanced students, and those with special needs.
The text is organized into three parts. Part I presents the theory behind brain-compatible dance education, offering an overview of the latest brain research, outlining the 10 principles of brain-compatible dance education, and exploring how to plan engaging lessons and use tools to assess your dancers. Part II describes the lesson plan elements in depth, including warming up, exploring concepts, developing skills, creating, and cooling down. In part III, Gilbert offers her new sequential and holistic lesson plans for ages 0 through 4, 5 through 8, 9 through 18, and adults.
Brain-Compatible Dance Education, Second Edition, will revitalize your dance classes by improving your students’ focus as they perform the repetitions that are so necessary for skill development. It will help you understand the vital link between movement and cognition, develop holistic lesson plans for any age and population, and bring the joy of movement into students’ lives.
Resource for dance educators in school and studio settings, early childhood educators, and recreation leaders in a variety of settings who work with people of all ages and abilities. Supplemental text for undergraduate dance pedagogy courses.
Table of Contents
Part I. Foundations of Brain-Compatible Dance Education
Chapter 1. The Body–Brain Connection
Chapter 2. Principles of Brain-Compatible Dance Education
Chapter 3. Planning Brain-Compatible Lessons
Chapter 4. Assessment Strategies
Part II. Brain-Compatible Lesson Plan Sections
Chapter 5. Warming Up
Chapter 6. Exploring the Concept
Chapter 7. Developing Skills
Chapter 8. Creating
Chapter 9. Cooling Down
Part III. Brain-Compatible Lesson Plans
Chapter 10. Ages 2 Months to 4 Years
Chapter 11. Ages 5 to 8 Years
Chapter 12. Ages 9 Years to Adult
Chapter 13. Older Adults
Chapter 14. Bonus Lesson Plans
ExcerptsMovement and Brain Development in Infants
Movement is important to early brain development
Reflective Teaching in Dance Education
AncillariesAll ancillaries are free to course adopters and available at www.HumanKinetics.com/BrainCompatibleDanceEducation.
The web resource includes the following:
- 11 videos of BrainDance to help teachers implement the warm-up in their classes by seeing how it’s done; the video clips show variations for all ages and abilities
- Lesson plans from the book in PDF format that can be viewed on a computer, tablet, or mobile device, or printed as needed; a lesson plan template is also provided
- Printable posters for your classroom or dance studio that highlight key features from the lessons
- Assessment templates and rubrics with rating scales that you can print and use or adapt to suit your needs
Articles & LinksSamples Of Video From The Web Resource
My book came very quickly and in great condition, no issues at all.