Keep your bike on the road for the long haul! Whether you’re training, competing, or simply riding for fun, a properly tuned bike is essential to performance, efficiency, and safety. That’s where Essential Bicycle Maintenance & Repair comes in.
Author Daimeon Shanks takes a straightforward “you can do it” approach to maintaining and repairing your bike so it’s ready to go when you are.
Essential Bicycle Maintenance & Repair provides simple step-by-step instructions, accompanied by up-close photos, illustrations, and advice, for more than 100 repairs. You’ll learn these skills and more:
• Adjust derailleurs and troubleshoot shifting problems.
• True your wheels and tweak your hubs for a silky-smooth ride.
• Install caliper, cantilever, or V-brakes.
• Repair a broken chain on the roadside.
• Fix flats in no time flat.
• Maintain pedals and cleats for efficiency and comfort.
• Install or adjust a headset.
• Install handlebars, including aero bars and flat bars.
• Adjust your saddle for a perfect fit.
• Determine if a triple crankset is right for you.
So spend more time in the saddle and less time and money in costly repair shops. Essential Bicycle Maintenance & Repair is the one guide no cyclist should be without!
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 The Modern Road Bike
Chapter 2 Basic Maintenance
Chapter 3 Frame and Fork
Chapter 4 Handlebars and Stem
Chapter 5 Saddles and Seatposts
Chapter 6 Wheels
Chapter 7 Tires
Chapter 8 Brakes
Chapter 9 Cranks and Chainrings
Chapter 10 Shifters and Derailleurs
Chapter 11 Chains and Cogsets
Chapter 12 Pedals and Cleats
Chapter 13 Customizing Your Fit
"In Essential Bicycle Maintenance & Repair, Daimeon Shanks takes a straightforward approach to repair and creates the go-to resource for cyclists."
Tom Danielson-- Professional cyclist with team Garmin-Cervelo
“Daimeon Shanks belongs to an elite stratum of bicycle mechanics. Seasoned by the triage nature of top professional cycling on the road, trail, and track, Shanks' experience and ability to eloquently advise show through in Essential Bicycle Maintenance & Repair.”
Nicholas Legan-- World and Olympic Champion Mechanic, Tech Editor for Velo/VeloNews
ExcerptsAdjusting an Integrated Seat Mast
How to install a threadless headset
Installing and Adjusting Shimano Di2 Shifting Systems