Pregnancy Fitness With CE Exam
Online CoursePackage components are as follows:
Pregnancy Fitness text
- Continuing education exam (accessed online)
Written by three experts in prenatal and postpartum fitness, pelvic floor exercise, and core restoration, Pregnancy Fitness covers all physical and physiological aspects of pregnancy, birth, and recovery so your clients can enjoy peace of mind throughout pregnancy and long after delivery.
This book provides complete need-to-know information about hormones, body and posture changes, and common pregnancy aches and pains. Critical information on diastasis recti and pelvic floor health will help you protect your clients from core dysfunction.
The book offers a variety of stretching, strengthening, and functional exercises and outlines their benefits, procedures, safety tips, and variations. These exercises will allow your clients to progress safely through pregnancy and be physically prepared for birth and optimal recovery. Sample workout programs are provided for each phase of pregnancy, including postpartum, so you can help clients establish and meet personal fitness goals with comfort and confidence—all while earning continuing education credits with the companion exam.
After reading the book and successfully completing the exam, you will be able to do the following:
- Explain the effects of pregnancy on the body and how you can use exercise to support the body in pregnancy and best prepare for labor and birth.
- List and describe the effects of the hormones that affect the body most profoundly during pregnancy.
- Describe the changes that occur in the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, as well as skeletal alignment, during pregnancy.
- Describe the importance of fitness training related to the specific needs of each trimester, birth, and the recovery period.
- List the four key components of the Core 4.
- Describe the professional skills of a pelvic floor physiotherapist.
- Describe the function of the pelvic floor, possible effects of pelvic floor dysfunction, and techniques to prevent pelvic floor dysfunction.
- Demonstrate proper technique for performing Kegel exercises.
- Describe the abdominal changes during pregnancy.
- Identify the locations of the transversus abdominis, multifidus, diaphragm, and pelvic floor and describe their functions.
- Define tensegrity.
- Describe fascia and its importance related to pregnancy, birth, and motherhood.
- Demonstrate upper and lower body stretches and release work.
- Demonstrate perineal massage.
- Explain the goal of core training during pregnancy, and demonstrate core breath and exercises for strengthening the core.
- Explain how pregnancy affects the posture of the upper body, shoulder girdle, and neck and demonstrate strength and endurance exercises for the upper body.
- Explain how pregnancy affects the lower body and demonstrate strength and endurance exercises for the lower body.
- Demonstrate functional movement exercises for labor, birth, and motherhood.
- List the risks and contraindications for exercise during pregnancy.
- Describe FITT guidelines for each trimester of pregnancy.
- Describe recommendations for postpartum recovery and retraining.
- Design a program for each trimester for a beginner exerciser, intermediate exerciser, and advanced exerciser.
- Design an exercise program to restore the core for a beginner exerciser, intermediate exerciser, and advanced exerciser.
A continuing education exam for certified professionals working with clients during and after pregnancy.
Table of ContentsPregnancy Fitness Table of Contents
Part I. Understanding Your Body Through Pregnancy
Chapter 1. Effects of Pregnancy
Chapter 2. Get Fit for Birth
Chapter 3. The Pelvic Floor: The Foundation of the Core
Chapter 4. The Abdominals: During Pregnancy and Beyond
Part II. Exercises to Prepare for and Recover From Birth
Chapter 5. Stretch and Release Work
Chapter 6. Strengthening the Core
Chapter 7. Strength and Endurance for the Upper Body
Chapter 8. Strength and Endurance for the Lower Body
Chapter 9. Functional Movement for Motherhood
Part III. Sample Programs for Each Phase of Pregnancy
Chapter 10. Choosing Your Program and Level of Fitness
Chapter 11. First Trimester Workouts
Chapter 12. Second Trimester Workouts
Chapter 13. Third Trimester Workouts
Chapter 14. Fourth Trimester Workouts
About the Authors