Fueling Young Athletes Print CE Course
Course components are delivered as printed products:
• Fueling Young Athletes book
• Study guide
• Continuing education exam
Young athletes are always on the go. School, family, and sports eat up a lot of time, and it can be a challenge to make sure kids are eating healthfully enough to perform at their best on and off the field. Fueling Young Athletes provides the guidance you need to help athletes fuel properly for their sport. The course addresses the issues that families and athletes often face, such as late-night practices, inconvenient school lunchtimes, demanding tournament schedules and travel leagues, and lack of sleep.
At the completion of this course, you will be able to do the following:
• Understand the different stages of development that teenage boys and girls undergo.
• Identify the six essential nutrients and their role in day-to-day nutrition.
• Understand and calculate hydration needs for young athletes.
• Determine objectives and create strategies for weight gain and weight loss in young athletes.
• Understand the importance of fueling the body before, during, and after training or competition.
• Understand and identify the most popular types of supplements being used by young athletes and their harmful drawbacks or potential benefits for the young athlete.
• Identify and define disordered eating and eating disorders.
• Create a personal meal plan to meet daily needs.
• Identify and create strategies to overcome barriers to healthy eating with young athletes.
This practical course breaks down the nutrition needs of young athletes and explains how the latest research supports everyday nutrition concepts that maximize adolescent growth and development. You’ll analyze current eating habits and preferences and how and where these can be improved. You’ll learn how healthier meals and snacks can equate to improved performance while still being convenient and appetizing. Best of all, you’ll find a collection of easy recipes for smoothies and sport drinks, all with common ingredients and nutrition information.
The study guide includes a course syllabus, learning objectives, learning activities, and a referenced answer key. The study guide highlights the key concepts of the book in order to prepare individuals to pass the 50-question exam (composed of multiple-choice and true-or-false questions) at the end of the course.
Weight management, supplementation, fueling, hydration—it’s all here. Fueling Young Athletes is a practical and realistic course for anyone working with young athletes.
A course for registered dietitians, strength and conditioning professionals, personal trainers, athletic trainers, fitness instructors, and other certified professionals.
Learning with the Fueling Young Athletes Book
Chapter 1: Building a Champion
Chapter 2: Day-to-Day Nutrition for Healthy Growth
Chapter 3: Fueling and Hydrating for Sport
Chapter 4: Adjusting Body Composition to Reach Your Goals
Chapter 5: Fueling for Game Day
Chapter 6: Understanding Supplements
Chapter 7: Identifying and Dealing With Disordered Eating
Chapter 8: Creating Your Personal Plan
Chapter 9: Breaking Down Barriers to Healthy Eating
Chapter 10: Liquid-Fuel Recipes
Chapter 11: Solid-Fuel Recipes
Learning Activities Answer Key
Exam and Evaluation
Exam Answer Sheet