Modern Art and Science of Mobility epub, The
The Modern Art and Science of Mobility is a striking visual guide to releasing muscle tension and activating muscles for functional motion. It goes beyond traditional training methods that focus on performance and aesthetics and asks these simple questions:
- Are you truly reaping the full benefits of training if it does not include mobility exercises?
- Why are the vast majority of people, even the most athletic individuals, unable to perform basic motor tasks without pain or difficulty?
- Why are physically active people still dealing with lack of mobility and chronic injury?
The Modern Art and Science of Mobility provides a stunning visual presentation with over 1,200 photos and 100 original illustrations by Stéphane Ganneau. His illustrations highlight the muscles with precision, and his avant-garde style and the harmony of colors give this book a unique graphic signature.
Mobility is the foundation for training your best and feeling your best. The Modern Art and Science of Mobility will help you do just that by helping you to alleviate pain, improve posture, and release muscle tension for a more comfortable and enjoyable quality of life.
AudienceIndividuals looking to reduce or eliminate pain, improve quality of life, enhance the mind–body connection, improve posture, allow limber movement of the joints, and release tension within muscles; also for fitness professionals who work with such individuals.
01. Pain and Movement
02. Trigger Points
- Should Massage Be Painful?
- The Iliotibial Band
- From Self-Massage to the Warm-Up
- The Basic Rules for a Reset
- Limiting the Exclusive Use of Self-Massage
- The Theoretical Need for an Analytical Approach
- The Scans
Part II. Breathing
01. The Relationship Between Stress and Breathing
02. Comfort Zone and Stress Zone
03. The Muscular System and Breathing
04. Retraining the Diaphragm
05. Training the Respiratory System
06. Managing Your Day
Part III. Movement
01. Muscle Chains
- The Myofascial Network
- The Agonist, Antagonist, Synergist, and Neutralizer Muscles
- Open and Closed Kinetic Chains
- Training Programs for Contraction
Part IV. Mobility
01. Functional Training
- Muscle Fiber Type and Movement
- Exercise Series
Exercises for upper back problems
Should massage be painful?
Squat Level 2 Series
While the visual/aesthetic aspect of this book is definitely worthy of 5 stars, I just felt the substance and conveyance of knowledge fell short. It's a good read and useful but not a "must-have" if looking for technical learning and application (which is what I was looking for). Still happy to have it, as a fun book with pleasing illustrations.
This is a book directed at fitness professionals and people who are are intermediate to advanced exercisers. That being said, it's a book that combines the whole myofascial release, flexibility, mobility and strength AND breathing to really- help you do things and not be in pain. Which, is really important, and generally undervalued in the fitness industry that focuses on vanity goals.