Prenatal and Postpartum Exercise Design Online CE Course 4E
At this time, our website is unable to accommodate tax-exempt orders.
For credit card security, do not include credit card information in email.
First time orders from US Business/Institutional accounts with a tax-exempt certificate must be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 217-351-1549. Include a copy of your sales tax-exempt certificate.
Repeat orders may be placed by phone at 1-800-747-5698 or 217-351-5076.
Course components can be delivered as printed products or online:
• Continuing education exam
Discover what every fitness professional working with pre- and postnatal women should know about designing safe and appropriate exercise routines with the Prenatal and Postpartum Exercise Design, Fourth Edition CE Course. Learn the effect of exercise on maternal and fetal health and how to set intensity levels and modify exercise based on guidelines from the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG), and the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada (SOCG). This course covers the latest research; demonstrates appropriate core strengthening and pelvic floor exercises; and includes suspended body-weight, flexibility, relaxation, and breathing exercises. It also suggests guidelines for strength training, water exercise, and competitive sports during pregnancy.
This self-guided course allows you to work at your own pace and explore the material through a comprehensive text and study guide, finishing with a 55-question exam composed of multiple-choice and true-or-false questions.
• Identify the current research and the effects of exercise on maternal and fetal health.
• Describe anatomical and physiological changes that occur during pregnancy.
• Discuss the current American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) and international guidelines for exercise during pregnancy and postpartum.
• Outline safe and appropriate exercise design for prenatal and postpartum women and discuss considerations for training during pregnancy and postpartum.
• Identify specific and appropriate exercises and activities for prenatal and postpartum women.
• Explain the benefits and guidelines of water exercises for pregnant clients.
• Outline suggestions for initiating or enhancing a prenatal and postpartum exercise program.
• Identify postnatal exercise goals and program design considerations for recover from both vaginal birth and cesarean delivery.
• Identify complications and common conditions of pregnancy and postpartum and management strategies.
• Discuss fitness practitioners’ professional responsibilities, including health screening, monitoring exercise, record keeping, and emergency procedures.
• Identify available resources that can be used in prenatal and postpartum exercise instruction and programming.
A continuing education course for personal trainers, group exercise instructors, and fitness professionals working with pregnant and postpartum women.
About This Course
Chapter 1 Benefits of Exercise During and After Pregnancy
Effect of Prenatal Exercise on Maternal Health
Effect of Exercise on Fetal Health
Effect of Postpartum Exercise on Maternal Health and Infant Growth
Chapter 2 Anatomy and Physiology of Pregnancy
Cardiovascular and Circulatory Changes During Pregnancy
Respiratory Changes During Pregnancy
Metabolic and Thermal Changes During Pregnancy
Anatomical Changes During Pregnancy
Chapter 3 Prenatal Exercise Prescription
ACOG Guidelines Reaffirmed 2009
International Guidelines for Exercise During Pregnancy and Postpartum
Prenatal Exercise Design
The Pregnant Competitive Athlete
Chapter 4 Postnatal Exercise Prescription
Vaginal Birth Recovery Program
Cesarean Delivery Recovery Program
Core Strengthening Exercises After Cesarean Delivery
Postpartum Exercise Prescription
Proper Body Mechanics and Ergonomics
Exercise and Breastfeeding
Chapter 5 Maternal Exercise Program Design
Exercise Session Format
Mainstreaming the Pregnant Student
Chapter 6 Complications and Common Conditions of Pregnancy and Postpartum
Chapter 7 Professional Responsibilities
Health Screening for Physical Activity
Scope of Practice
Self-Check Quizzes Answer Key
Nutritional Needs During Pregnancy
Weight Gain During Pregnancy
Essential Nutrients During Pregnancy
Common Complaints and Problems During Pregnancy
Exercise Dos and Don’ts for Prenatal Women
Nutritional Needs Postpartum and When Breastfeeding
Weight Loss While Breastfeeding
Lifting and Carrying Safely
Proper Body Mechanics When Lifting Your Baby
Health History Questionnaire
Status of Current Pregnancy
Physician Consent Form
Maternal Fitness Class Record
About the Authors
“This course gave me valuable information to further my career goal in teaching and training prenatal and postnatal courses at my gym.”
C. Gilmore—California, KY
“An excellent course chock-full of knowledge on program design and bodily changes in pregnant clients.”
W. Lightfoot—Jersey City, NJ
“I have gained a detailed look into the physiological and psychological effects of pregnancy. I have learned to be more in tune to the changes incurred by pregnancy and to be more sensitive of pre- and postnatal conditions.”
A. Pacheco—Mountain View, CA
“I lead postpartum physical training for the military and will apply the knowledge in this course to the participants.”
J. Noess—Sierra Vista, AZ, Uruguay