Exercise and Arthritis Online CE Course-7th Edition
At this time, our website is unable to accommodate tax-exempt orders.
For credit card security, do not include credit card information in email.
First time orders from US Business/Institutional accounts with a tax-exempt certificate must be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 217-351-1549. Include a copy of your sales tax-exempt certificate.
Repeat orders may be placed by phone at 1-800-747-5698 or 217-351-5076.
Course components can be delivered as printed products or online:
• Continuing education exam
Half of all older adults will develop some form of arthritis in their lifetime. For this growing population, you can learn to alleviate the pain and stiffness associated with arthritis through proper exercises. Exercise and Arthritis, Seventh Edition, provides an understanding of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and spondyloarthropathy; the effect these conditions have on an individual’s well-being; and the role of exercise as part of a treatment program.
This course prepares you to recognize symptoms and flare-ups, understand various treatments and management strategies, and identify the psychological factors associated with rheumatic disease. You will also learn how to design safe exercise programs with respect to mode, intensity, duration, frequency, and progression. This course includes land-based and water-based exercise programs that will assist you in reducing pain and minimizing inflammation and injury in your clients.
The seventh edition of Exercise and Arthritis has been updated to include the current American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) training guidelines. It includes a new section on complementary care measures that will help your clients alleviate pain and manage their condition. An anatomy review appendix has been added, which covers the basic joint structures and how various types of arthritis affect these joints. Upon completion of this course, you will be able to assist in providing safe and effective exercise programming for individual clients and group exercise participants who have arthritis.
• Provide a general overview of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and spondyloarthropathy.
• Discuss the role of exercise in the treatment of arthritis.
• Discuss the benefits of regular physical activity for clients with arthritis.
• Outline land-based and water-based exercise program goals for clients with arthritis.
• Identify specific guidelines and considerations for a land-based and aquatic exercise program for arthritis.
• Design appropriate exercise for clients with arthritis with respect to mode, intensity, duration, frequency, and progression of exercise.
• Outline methods used to assign and monitor workloads for clients with arthritis.
• Identify criteria for referral, termination of exercise, and contraindication to exercise for clients with arthritis.
• List various treatments and management strategies.
• Identify the psychological factors associated with rheumatic disease.
• Understand common classifications of medications for clients with arthritis and their effect on exercise.
A continuing education course for personal trainers, fitness instructors, physical therapists, strength and conditioning coaches, and fitness professionals working with older adults.
Chapter 1: Overview of Rheumatic Disease
The Disuse Factor
Psychosocial Factors of Rheumatic Diseases
Other Arthritic Conditions
Chapter 2: Management of Arthritis
Lifestyle Modification Strategies
Chapter 3: Exercise Design
Benefits of Exercise
Exercise Guidelines and Considerations
Exercise Program Design
Posture and Balance Training
Yoga and Tai Chi
Clients With Joint Replacements
Self-Check Case Study
Chapter 4: Professional Responsibilities
Health Screening for Physical Activity
Scope of Practice
Criteria for Termination of Exercise
Contraindications for Exercise
Establishing Physician Contact
Coping Strategies for Rheumatic Disease
Does Exercise Cause Osteoarthritis?
Principles of Minimizing Joint Stress and Pain
Exercise Your Fingers and Hands
What About Glucosamine Sulfate?