BookThe Essential Guide for Mental Performance Consultants is an authoritative reference presenting foundational information and best practices to help clients develop and use mental, life, and self-regulatory skills to optimize their performance. Authored by the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP), this web textbook provides an interactive platform to prepare for the AASP Certified Mental Performance Consultant® (CMPC®) certification exam.
The Essential Guide for Mental Performance Consultants is an interactive web-based text that can be used on a variety of devices, offering a practical and affordable way to explore the foundations and applications of sport psychology and mental performance. As readers advance through the text, the following learning aids offer interactive activities and practice opportunities:
- Knowledge statements outline each chapter’s content and describe how it meets required knowledge groups and components from the certification exam.
- Interactive scenarios challenge readers to respond to realistic case studies by selecting appropriate paths to address the situation. Feedback is provided to help readers select the best possible choice at each point in the scenario.
- Check-ins allow readers the opportunity to test their knowledge as they progress through the content with short multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-false questions. Instant feedback is provided to reveal the correct answer and explain why it’s correct.
- Video summaries at the end of each chapter deliver brief presentations that summarize complex topics efficiently.
- Quizzes at the end of each chapter test readers’ retention with 10 to 20 multiple-choice or true-false questions, offering an opportunity to practice for the certification exam.
- Key terms are bolded throughout, highlighting important content to memorize.
- A final test at the conclusion of the text provides 100 questions that reflect the content and format of the CMPC certification exam. Readers may use this test as a realistic practice opportunity and to identify areas needed for further study.
The Essential Guide for Mental Performance Consultants equips readers with the expert knowledge and advice they need to succeed as a qualified mental performance consultant. By completing interactive activities and practicing exam study skills, readers will conclude this text feeling confident and prepared to pass the CMPC certification exam and to succeed in their future careers.
AudienceProfessionals and students preparing for the Certified Mental Performance Consultant® (CMPC®) certification exam.
Table of ContentsChapter 1. Application of Theories and Principles of Counseling and Consulting
Chapter 2. Foundational Psychological Theories, Models, and Constructs
Chapter 3. Learning and Skill Acquisition
Chapter 4. Leadership Development
Chapter 5. Techniques for Developing Rapport, Trust, and Open Communication With Clients
Chapter 6. Assessment of Individuals, Teams/Groups, & Organizations
Chapter 7. Mental Skills and Tools Related to Performance
Chapter 8. Performance Psychology Interventions
Chapter 9. Evaluation of Consulting and Program Effectiveness
Chapter 10. Coaching Effectiveness
Chapter 11. Psychology of Injury and Rehabilitation
Chapter 12. Physiological and Neuropsychological Bases of Performance
Chapter 13. Ethics and Professional Issues
Chapter 14. Culture and Diversity
About the EditorFounded in 1985, the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP) is the leading organization for sport psychology consultants and professionals who work with athletes, coaches, nonsport performers (dancers, musicians), business professionals, and those in tactical occupations (military, firefighters, police) to enhance their performance from a psychological standpoint.
AASP is an international, multidisciplinary, professional organization with over 2,600 members in 55 countries worldwide, with backgrounds in a variety of areas, including sport science, social work, counseling, and clinical psychology.
AASP promotes the development of science and ethical practice in the field of sport psychology and offers certification (Certified Mental Performance Consultant®) to qualified individuals who have completed a combination of educational and work requirements and successfully pass a certification exam.