Active Living Every Day Facilitator Training Print Course-2nd Edition
The course consists of the following components:
• Active Living Every Day, Second Edition, text
• Print workbook
• Online facilitator resources
• Final exam (accessed online)
The Active Living Every Day Facilitator Training Course will help you lead clients to a more active lifestyle through facilitation of the Active Living Every Day (ALED) program, which guides people to improve their health through physical activity. When individuals make these changes permanently, they experience real results. The Active Living Every Day program gives participants the knowledge and skills needed to live longer, healthier lives.
Active Living Every Day facilitators play a key role in helping individuals make these changes. As a facilitator, you’ll help your participants learn skills they can use to integrate physical activity into their daily routines. This facilitator training course introduces you to the concepts you’ll need to lead ALED classes. You’ll learn the principles underlying the program and how to facilitate change in groups of adults who want to become more active.
This self-directed course enables you to work at your own pace without the help of an instructor. Begin by reading Active Living Every Day, Second Edition—the book that each of your participants will use as you take them through the program. Then read through the facilitator workbook. Throughout, you’ll have the opportunity to evaluate what you learn by answering questions and completing reflection activities. The facilitator resources provided online include lesson plans, handout materials for your class participants, administrative forms, and program management and marketing materials—everything you need to help your participants make physical activity a regular part of their lifestyle.
After reading the book and workbook and successfully completing the 75-question exam, you will be able to do the following:
• Cite the mission and major principles and philosophies of the ALED program.
• Cite the federal physical activity guidelines.
• List the five stages of readiness to change and the way that each stage differs from the others.
• Describe the cognitive and behavioral skills taught in ALED to assist participants in the behavior change process.
• Explain the ALED curriculum and the way in which it is organized.
• Identify the resources available to help deliver the ALED sessions.
• Recognize the major components of the lesson plan and understand how to use the lesson plans for conducting ALED sessions.
• Identify the major learning objectives, special concerns, and special preparation needs for each session.
• Describe how a group session is delivered and how the meeting is structured.
• Explain the facilitator’s role.
• Explain how to administer the four A’s of facilitating change and use listening behavior and supportive feedback skills.
• Identify common types of participant personalities and typical characteristics of each.
• Devvelop and implement strategies for effectively dealing with challenging personalities within a group or individual format.
Wellness providers at private sector workplaces, parks and recreation departments, community colleges, and community-based organizations such as government agencies, military installations, hospitals and health care providers, public health organizations, and senior centers. Also for personal trainers and wellness coaches seeking to round out their services within their scope of practice.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. ALED Program Philosophy
Chapter 2. Behavior and Health
Chapter 3. The Case for Physical Activity
Chapter 4. Four Primary Theories
Chapter 5. The Transtheoretical Model
Chapter 6. Scientific Basis for ALED
Chapter 7. Principles of Adult Learning
Chapter 8. The Facilitator’s Role
Chapter 9. The Logistics of Facilitating
Chapter 10. Evaluating Your ALED Program
Chapter 11. Adaptations and Special Uses of ALED
Chapter 12. Management of Your ALED Program.
Chapter Review Quizzes Answer Key
Appendix: Overview of Sessions
Active Living Every Day Facilitator Training Practice Exam