Online CourseLearn fundamental coaching concepts and responsibilities and come away with the most important coaching points of the major skills and tactics of youth baseball.
In this interactive online course, you’ll learn to prepare for your season and provide the best possible experience for your athletes. The course is supplemented by excerpts from the Coaching Youth Baseball, Third Edition, book. These excerpts are delivered as a series of PDF files to download. As you progress through the online course, you’ll be prompted to read excerpts to complete course activities.
The course includes many interactive exercises that apply and enrich concepts from the book. The course introduces volunteer coaches to the games approach, which uses small-sided games to teach skills and tactics. It also includes a handy Coaches’ Clipboard utility with forms, documents, and detailed plans for successful practice sessions and game-day coaching. The course concludes with an online 30-question test.
Table of ContentsGuided by a mentor coach, coaches face learning challenges in the units:
- Meet your coaching responsibilities, including examining your priorities as a coach
- Communicate effectively with players, parents, and officials
- Provide for safety and respond to injuries
- Develop a training program for players to promote lifelong fitness
- Understand the basic rules of the game
- Create plans for your season and for individual practices
- Prepare for, and coach on, game day
- Teach and shape tactics and skills
- Teach three specific offensive tactics
- Teach six specific defensive tactics
- Teach three offensive skills
- Teach six defensive skills