Language of Coaching Ebook With CE Exam, The
Online CourseThe package components are delivered online:
- The Language of Coaching ebook
- Continuing education exam (accessed online)
Packed with stunning visuals, the book provides over 25 movement sequences that outline different types of coaching cues, including a visual depiction of unique analogies, such as a sprinter taking off like a jet or an athlete loading into a jump like a spring. The book is filled with a comprehensive collection of cueing frameworks that guide you through the process of creating your own cues for any movement you want to teach. You will also learn how to engage in more productive conversation with your athletes through sample dialogue that uses the book’s cueing philosophy.
Upon completing the book, certified professionals can take the companion CE exam to earn continuing education credits.
After completing this course, you will be able to do the following:
- Describe learning and the 3P Performance Profile.
- Explain the role that attention, deliberate practice, and state of mind play in the coaching of athletes.
- Explain forms of memory and the process through which memories are created.
- Define the coaching communication loop.
- Employ the 3P Performance Profile to practice 3D cueing.
- Describe analogies and the model for using this essential coaching tool.
- Explain habit cueing and employ the cueing grid for effective coaching.
- Apply cues and analogies to movements commonly used to develop strength.
- Apply cues and analogies to movements commonly used to develop power.
- Apply cues and analogies to movements commonly used to develop speed.
AudienceA continuing education course for sport coaches, personal trainers, strength and conditioning professionals, physical therapists, athletic trainers, physical educators, and other certified fitness professionals.
Table of ContentsPart I. Learn
Chapter 1. Learn This
Learning: A Primer
Part 1: The Profile
Part 2: The Process
Part 3: The Distinction
Chapter 2. Pay Attention
Attention: A Primer
Attention at Work
Part 1: Out of Focus
Part 2: Coming Into Focus
Part 3: In Focus
Chapter 3. Remember When
Memory: A Primer
What’s in a Memory?
Part 1: Working Memory
Part 2: Long-Term Memory
Part 3: Making Memories
Part II. Coach
Chapter 4. Finding Focus
Cueing: A Primer
Part 1: A Cue Is Born
Part 2: The Dark Side of the Cue
Part 3: You Gotta Be Choking Me
Chapter 5. Cue It Up
Constructing Cues: A Primer
Part 1: Cueing in 3D
Part 2: Cue Tips
Part 3: Clarifying Internal Cues
Chapter 6. Going Analog
Analogies: A Primer
Part 1: Mental Maps
Part 2: Similarity
Part 3: Familiarity
Part III. Cue
Chapter 7. The Road Map
Habits: A Primer
The Habit Instinct
The Habit of Cueing
Habit Upgrade: A Three-Step Process
Fishing for Cues
Chapter 8. Strong Cueing
Upper-Body Push/Horizontal/Two-Arm Dumbbell Bench Press
Upper-Body Push/Vertical/Two-Arm Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Upper-Body Pull/Horizontal/One-Arm One-Leg Dumbbell Row
Lower-Body Push/Two-Leg Front Squat
Lower-Body Push/One-Leg Squat to Bench
Lower-Body Push/Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat
Lower-Body Pull/Two-Leg Romanian Deadlift
Lower-Body Pull/One-Leg Romanian Deadlift
Chapter 9. Powerful Cueing
Noncountermovement/Squat to Throw
Chapter 10. Fast Cueing
Linear Speed/Three-Point Start
Linear Speed/Absolute Speed
Multidirectional Speed/45-Degree Cut
Multidirectional Speed/Side-Step Cut
Multidirectional Speed/180-Degree Cut
Multidirectional Speed/Crossover to Sprint
Multidirectional Speed/Crossover Run
Multidirectional Speed/Drop Step to Sprint