Coaching Better Workshop Print Version
Now there is help for administrators seeking to develop and sustain a cohesive, high-performing coaching staff and athletic program: the Coaching Better Workshop.
World-renowned coach educator and author of the highly acclaimed book Coaching Better Every Season, Wade Gilbert helped create this quick and comprehensive coaching development experience for administrators to offer all their coaches at once. In just three hours, the entire coaching staff will gain a clear and consistent perspective of the priorities, culture, instruction, performance, and evaluation methods that characterize quality coaching.
The workshop is organized into six modules that help coaches do the following:
- Develop an athlete-centered coaching philosophy and adhere to it
- Build and foster a strong team culture
- Design and conduct practices that promote athlete development
- Prepare athletes and teams to compete successfully and achieve peak performance
- Implement evaluation systems for individual, team, and program improvement
- Enhance their own professional development and personal well-being
The Coaching Better Workshop is offered in two formats.
The online access option includes the following resources, all of which are accessible electronically without printed materials:
- Coaching Better Every Season ebook
- Administrator manual
- Coach workbook
- Supporting resources
- Video library
- Presentation package
- Coach quiz
The print package includes all of the electronic resources that come with the online access, plus physical copies of the following:
- Coaching Better Every Season book (3 copies)
- Administrator manual
- Coach workbook (10 copies)
- Coach quiz (10 copies)
AudienceThe primary audience for the Coaching Better Workshop is high school athletic directors charged with hiring, training, developing, and unifying their coaching staffs and enhancing their schools’ overall sport programs. Secondary audiences include sport administrators for national governing bodies of Olympic sport, national and international sport organizations and associations, and club teams.
- Core values are the expectations and standards that coaches and their athletes use to hold each other accountable and build a culture of excellence.
- To be most effective, core values must be clearly articulated with athletes and other members of your team.
- Core value action statements provide real and specific guidance on how to behave.
Module 2 Coach-Athlete Relationships and Team Trust/Team Building
- Team building is the systematic and deliberate actions you take to promote closeness, connection, unified purpose and shared commitment to team goals among your athletes.
- Mutual trust is enhanced by a clear and agreed-upon understanding of the role that each person on the team is expected to play.
- Depending on your actions as a coach, you will be making either deposits or withdrawals from the team trust bank.
Module 3 Athlete Development and Quality Practice Design
- Athlete learning is optimized when the practice goals stretch the athletes just outside their comfort zone.
- Short, high-intensity practice sessions are generally more productive. When coaches overextend practices, athletes inevitably lose focus and are more likely to get injured.
- Athletes will be more motivated to practice, enjoy practice more and show greater commitment to practices when they have some choice and input on practice design and the practice is more competitive, like an actual game.
Module 4 Competition Readiness and Peak Performance
- Examine: Silently observe the performance of the athlete and opponent. Look for (a) opportunities to make strategic adjustments or exploit opponent tendencies, (b) praiseworthy athlete behavior, and (c) potential signs of athlete fatigue.
- Encourage: Regularly give praise and support, both for successful performance outcomes (e.g., goal, score) and quality of performance (i.e., correct skill execution, effort).
- Educate: Use athlete performances as teachable moments by providing quick feedback and reminders of important technical and tactical actions during natural breaks (time-outs, intermissions, when athletes are on the bench).
Module 5 Performance Evaluation and Recognition
- The goal of end-of-season program evaluation is to collect enough information in a short time to make informed decisions about how to allocate off-season energy to improve your coaching, develop your athletes, and enhance your program.
- Quality program evaluation requires consideration of at least four factors:
- Identifying what should be evaluated
- Collecting evidence from multiple sources
- Ensuring that the evaluation system and tools are practical
- Deciding how to communicate and use evaluation result
Module 6 Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being
- The most effective coaches are lifelong learners who are on a constant quest to identify and close performance gaps.
- Continuous improvement requires industriousness, curiosity, resourcefulness, and honest self-examination—characteristics associated with personal mastery and a growth mind-set.
- Coaches with a growth mind-set are more resilient and seek opportunities to improve despite encountering failures and setbacks.
Administrator manual. Contains material to help you design and lead a half-day (three-hour) learning experience for you and your coaches. Takes facilitators step by step through the process of leading the workshop.
Video introductions. Each workshop module begins with a two- to three-minute video clip featuring Dr. Gilbert, who introduces the topic, explains its significance to coaches, and sets the stage for group discussions and learning activities that will follow.
Coach workbook. Each module in the coach workbook includes key points that will help coaches get more out of workshop activities. Coaches are prompted to consider the questions then record their responses and thoughts.
Test package. The 30-question test package includes five multiple-choice questions per module. The test items are based on the material addressed in workshop activities and the coach workbook. You are free to use all, some, or none of the items provided. If you do decide to test your coaches’ retention of the content, you can set your own scoring standards.
Presentation package plus image bank. Contains 100 slides, including key figures and tables from the text. Modify the slides as needed to fit your needs. The image bank includes all the figures and tables from the book, separated by chapter.