Up-and-down board for students of all abilities
This is an excerpt from Build It So They Can Play by Teresa Sullivan,Cindy Slagle,T.J. Hapshie,Debbie Brevard & Vic Brevard.
- Need and Disability
This is an activity for students of all abilities. Students with emerging skills will work on balance, eye-hand coordination, visual tracking, response, timing, and perception.
Hand saw or electric saw, screwdriver, hammer, tape measure
1 piece of pine wood 1 by 5-1/2 by 28 inches
1 2-inch PVC pipe 5-1/2 inches long
1 piece of pine wood 1 by 2 by 5½ inches
1 cylinder for placement of objects
1 box 1/2-inch screws
1 box 1/2-inch nails
2 pieces of soft foam or rubber 5 by 5 inches
1 cylinder-type cup
1 can of indoor/outdoor paint of your choice
1. Nail 1-by-2-by-5-1/2-inch board to bottom of 28-inch board approximately 8 to 9 inches from one end.
2. Cut PVC pipe in half lengthwise.
3. Attach PVC to the bottom of 28-inch board by screwing into trim piece added in step 1.
4. Screw one piece of soft foam or rubber to the bottom of each end of the 28-inch board; this will help cut down on the noise when it is used.
5. Paint board a bright color if desired.
6. Using two 1/2-inch screws, attach cylinder-type cup to top of 28-inch board at opposite end of PVC (on bottom). This will assist in holding a large or small ball while attempting to stomp and catch.
Ideas for Using This Equipment
- Use in obstacle course or station activity. A student places the object on the cylinder and stomps the end of the board, catching object in the air.
- Help student set object on board.
- Use a bigger ball or object so the student is successful in catching the object.
- You could stomp on board for the student and let the student catch the object.
- You could let student stomp on the board and you or a partner catch the object.
- As a baseball lead-up, pop ball up and catch with glove.
Length, width, height, and number of each beam can vary depending on the need.
Learn more about Build It So They Can Play.More Excerpts From Build It So They Can Play
Get the latest insights with regular newsletters, plus periodic product information and special insider offers.