The Print Production Manager is the ProdDev expert responsible for planning, scheduling, directing, and coordinating all aspects of print manufacturing for assigned new and reprinted print projects. She or he works closely with internal staff and with printers to ensure all products are published on-time, on-budget, to specification, and within the quality expectations established by the Acquisitions Editor.
Business unit: The purpose of HK’s Product Development Unit (ProdDev) is to conceptualize, design, develop, create, manage, and produce high-quality text, visual, and multimedia content, delivered in print and digital forms, for instructors, coaches, athletes, professionals, students, and others seeking information about physical activity and sport. The Print Production Manager works within this unit.
Position reports to: Print Production Coordinator
This position has no direct reports.
1. Manages planned schedules for assigned new titles from the inception of production to final release. Tracks workflow and ensures projects moving through the production phase are on schedule, all print components are accounted for, and properly published; updates team on changes to delivery dates.
2. Manages assigned reprints and works closely with team members to make corrections to titles; assigns reprint projects to designers to balance workloads and meet deadlines.
3. Builds and maintains working relationships with vendors to produce quality print products. Works with vendors to verify price quotes, pre-schedule titles, and ensure assigned projects stay on schedule throughout the manufacturing process.
4. Issues purchase orders for assigned print products and organizes materials/components and change orders for print vendors to ensure smooth workflow. Verifies, reconciles, codes, and authorizes assigned invoices, resolving discrepancies. Codes and enters all invoices. Maintains accurate production folders and history.
5. Performs quality control checks by ensuring assigned deliverables are produced to correct specifications and proper proofing has been completed. Resolves quality and delivery issues with print vendors; investigates and resolves customer complaints on defects.
6. Assists Print Production Coordinator with quality control checks and receiving.
7. Works with Print Production Coordinator to determine text stock, weights, finishes, and binding styles of assigned products.
8. Works closely with Designers and Editors in planning and project management.
9. Works closely with Operations and Inventory to maintain inventory levels to reduce the number of titles on backorder; provides updated delivery schedule reports.
10. Reviews proofs for corrections/approvals for assigned titles, and ensures they are circulated and returned on time to remain on schedule.
11. Updates PDSI, our department scheduling database, to ensure information is accurate and up-to-date. Generates reports. Adjusts schedules; updates affected areas as needed.
12. Works with directors of and staff within other HK departments (editorial, design, art, photo, purchasing, shipping, inventory, financial) to ensure smooth processes across departments.
13. Manages administrative support functions professionally, such as active and archive filing, creation of project folders, maintenance of production library, and material storage.
14. Contributes to HK’s profitability by working productively and ensuring budgets and schedules are met.
1. Provides back-up to the Print Production Coordinator.
Associate’s Degree in office management. Relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
Preferred: Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Graphic Design, Business, or Project Management.
Experience: 2+ years of book production, print buying, graphic design, or project management experience required.
Human Kinetics' Values:
Product Development Competencies:
Attention to detail
Functional expertise and usage
Planning and organizing
Production Manager Competencies:
Data gathering and analysis
R = Rarely (0-15%)
O = Occasionally (16 – 45%)
F = Frequently (46 – 100%)
Office Equipment: Frequent use of a Windows computer, copier, printer, scanner, and fax machine. Occasional telephone use and rare use of a Mac computer.
Mental Demands: Frequent problem-solving, decision making, organization, data interpretation, reading/writing, and time management. Occasional supervisory skills.
Physical Demands: Frequent Lifting (> 20) lb., sitting, carrying, walking, typing, hearing, seeing, speaking, along with up and down movement in a fast-paced environment. Occasional standing and rarely driving.
Working Conditions: Indoor, Office environment.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, Responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.