As a member of the E-Learning and Assessment Department (ELAD), the Learning System Specialist is the ProdDev expert responsible for the support of all learning systems behind the delivery of digital learning products at Human Kinetics. The Learning System Specialist also provides advising and troubleshooting on issues related to customer-facing licensing and support, including ongoing maintenance of accurate and complete documentation.
Human Kinetics is headquartered in Champaign, IL, but this position is eligible for full-time telecommuting.
Human Kinetics is committed to building a more diverse workforce. We welcome BIPOC candidates and others who identify with underrepresented groups to apply.
1. Build and maintain digital products in multiple delivery systems, including content management systems, learning management systems, and back-end databases.
2. Administer product licensing within HK’s delivery systems.
3. Provide end-user support of digital products and delivery systems, including K12 school/district support and setup for SSO/rostering or higher ed support and setup for LTI/LMS integrations.
4. Develop, review, and maintain internal- and customer-facing documentation related to learning system access and functionality.
5. Research, test, and recommend technical solutions and systems responsive to customer needs.
6. Manage multiple projects and complex work in order to meet deadlines and communicate effectively in both written and verbal forms.
1. Keep informed of publishing technology and educational technology trends, developments, tools, and techniques.
3. Interface with external groups regarding relevant standards and specifications.
A high school diploma is required. Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Learning Science, or related field preferred.
Further higher education and/or additional related certifications and professional development also preferred.
3+ years’ professional experience with web content and digital media development software packages, course management software systems, content delivery software systems, and back-end database tools required.
Experience with publishing technology standards/specifications, including XML, XHTML, and XSLT, and digital outputs, including PDF, EPUB, MOBI, HTML5, and others is also required.
Further requirements include experience with digital accessibility and usability standards/specifications, including Section 508 accessibility, WCAG, ARIA, WAI-ARIA, and others.
Preferred work experience includes: Experience with educational technology standards/specifications, including QTI, LTI, Common Cartridge, EDUPUB, SCORM, xAPI, and others.
Experience with UI and UX design.
Attention to detail
Functional expertise and usage
Planning and organizing
Technology expertise and usage
Data gathering and analysis
External (strategic) awareness
R = Rarely (0-15%)
O = Occasionally (16 – 45%)
F = Frequently (46 – 100%)
Frequent use of a computer- Windows and occasional use of a phone and computer- Mac. Rare use of a copier/printer.
Frequent sitting. Occasional standing and walking. Rarely lifting, carrying, or driving.
Frequent problem-solving,data interpretation, organization, reading/writing, and managing one's own time.
Occasional decision making and rare supervision.
Indoor, office environment. Frequent seeing, hearing, and typing.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, Responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.