Responsible for publication of assigned journals from start to finish within the necessary timeline to ensure journal issues are published in a timely and accurate fashion, per the journal publication schedule. Works with the journal EIC to set the issue TOC and then handles the necessary copy-editing and proofreading tasks to see the issue to completion. Acts as a front-facing representative of the division by engaging directly with customers, journal board members, vendors, and production partners and ensuring professional customer service/collaboration to all of these parties.
1. Establish and maintain professional and responsive relationships with all authors, editors, editorial boards, associated organizations, production partners, and in-house HK staff.
2. Serve as the liaison between journal field editor, editorial board members, reviewers, and subscribers on assigned HK journals. This involves professional, proactive, timely, and accurate communications that reflect positively on HK's journals division.
3. Serve as liaison with the journal field editor to assist and support with management of the strategic development of the title.
4. Support the editorial boards and their initiatives. Support includes, but is not limited to: prepare annual reports for yearly board meetings; coordinate promotion of selected content; coordinate publication of supplements or special issues; maintain regular communication with editors-in-chief and board members to ensure needs are met.
5. Ensure the timely, error-free publication of both Ahead of Print articles, as well as regularly-scheduled issues. Timeliness is ensured through: moving accepted manuscripts into and through the production process to Ahead of Print as soon as possible after acceptance; finalizing an issue’s table of contents not less than two months before the issue’s publication date; requesting print run and purchase orders at appropriate time points.
6. Perform editorial duties required to move assigned journals into the production process with quality content per production schedule.
- Update publication sheets with accepted manuscripts at least twice a month.
- Update pub sheets with TOC lineups at least 2 months’ in advance of the issue publication.
- Read and proof text, tables, artwork, covers, and other project components for accuracy, consistency, and adherence to HK’s project quality expectations.
- Copyedit manuscripts in Mode 2 workflow for accuracy, spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax, and journal/house style (AMA, APA).
- Review all necessary proofs in all Mode 1 and Mode 2 journals by ensuring author edits are properly integrated; evaluating article format before author proofs (where needed); and evaluating article in its entirety, per final review expectations, before online publication.
- Prepare necessary documentation for issue completion (e.g., print run request form, pagination emails, etc.).
7. Perform pre-press duties.
- Update journal covers.
- Compile information on special issues.
- Prepare and implement updates and changes needed to front/back matter, masthead pages, and/or ads.
8. Create and maintain Need-to-Know documentation for each assigned journal.
9. Contribute to HK’s profitability by working productively and ensuring project budgets and schedules are met.
1. Work with Editors to set issue deadlines to allow enough time for papers to work through CAPS.
2. Work with in-house Marketing Manager to identify marketing opportunities (e.g., special issues, hot-topic articles, well-received authors, editorial office changes, etc.).
Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Work Experience: 1-3 years of editorial experience required.
Planning and organizing
Attention to detail
Demonstrate highly developed computer literacy and ability to learn new technology
Multi-task while under pressure due to deadlines, etc. and adapt quickly to changing processes
Superior interpersonal skills with excellent oral and written capabilities
Office Equipment: Frequent computer use, occasional phone use, and rare use of a copier.
Mental Demands: Frequent problem-solving, decision making, organization, reading/writing, and occasional data interpretation
This position does not supervise others.
Physical Demands: Frequent sitting. Rarely standing, walking, lifting, driving, or lifting
Working Conditions: Indoor, office environment
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, Responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.