Human Kinetics is committed to building a more diverse workforce. We welcome BIPOC candidates and others who identify with underrepresented groups to apply.
Salary Range: $15.63-$21.15/hour.
This position is a part-time position, and a specific weekly schedule will be established based on the needs and availability of the right candidate. The position requires 24 hours of work per week (no insurance benefits) and could be expanded to 30 hours (insurance benefits available).
*Learn more about our perks and benefits here: https://us.humankinetics.com/pages/human-kinetics-compensation-benefits-information
This position will be fully onsite at our headquarters in Champaign, IL.
The division administrative specialist (DAS) has a wide range of duties that support the Trade and Professional Division and its staff. These include organizing records, preparing contracts, generating reports, distributing information, responding to author and customer inquiries, directing project proposals to appropriate staff, assisting with acquisitions and market research, handling print and electronic correspondence, and more. The DAS also helps other administrative specialists and assists callers to HK’s general phone number as needed.
1. Serve as the initial contact for the division, communicating by phone, email, and post with authors, customers, and others to answer questions or direct inquiries to appropriate staff.
2. Maintain working knowledge of the division’s efforts, including product offerings, staff assignments, and project status.
3. Keep the division’s online files, procedure documents, forms, and templates accurate and up to date.
4. Run reports from company databases and distribute information on sales, schedules, and budgets.
5. Prepare division contracts, addendums, and releases based on terms provided by acquisitions editors or division director
6. Monitor and update schedules and release dates of the division’s products
7. Update databases and schedules when contracts are executed and initiate author or editor payment(s) when required.
8. Maintain a spreadsheet tracking the division’s progress on annual acquisitions, release, and profitability goals.
9. Receive unsolicited proposals, log them, determine suitability, and redirect to appropriate staff for follow-up.
10. Prepare, send, and archive print and electronic correspondence with authors, customers, and others.
11. Provide staff, authors, and customers with copies of physical or digital products as required by contract or as requested by division director.
12. Train new division staff on the division’s systems and procedures.
13. Analyze current division procedures and suggest improvements as appropriate
1. Upon request, review manuscript files to ensure all elements are included and formatted as detailed by the contract.
2. Estimate manuscript length using established calculations.
3. Schedule staff meetings, reserve meeting rooms, and organize conference or video calls as requested.
4. Undertake special projects for the division director as needed.
Education: Associate's Degree required. Bachelor's Degree preferred.
Required Experience: Two years of experience in administrative or office management and proficiency with database and word processing programs, including most components of Microsoft Office.
Preferred Experience: 5 years of experience in administrative or office management. Also preferred is experience preparing legal documents and two years of experience or demonstrated aptitude in an editorial capacity: writing, reviewing, editing, and other basic editorial tasks.
Attention to detail
Planning and organizing
Sociability and networking
Technical expertise and usage
Use of functional expertise
Data gathering and analysis
Office Equipment: Frequent use of a phone, computer, copier, and mobile device. Rare use of a fax machine and scanner.
Mental Demands: Frequent problem-solving, organization, and reading/writing. Occasional decision-making and data interpretation. Rare supervision skills required.
Working Conditions: Indoor, office environment.
Physical Demands: Frequent sitting and walking. Occasional standing. Rare lifting, carrying, or driving.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.