The Backend Web Developer designs, builds, and improves new and existing backend application solutions with an efficiency and usability emphasis. She/he collaborates with technology, operations, and other business teams to fully understand the functional and UX requirements of projects and solutions. The Developer focuses on server-side web applications and integrating new and existing web applications and tools. The Developer supports existing applications and tools by proactive monitoring and completing assigned help tickets.
1. Builds new and modifies existing backend applications and solutions utilizing the Software Development Life Cycle approach.
2. Collaborates with appropriate technology and business teams to ensure applications function as desired and are user friendly, reliable, secure, scalable, responsive, accessible, testable, and maintainable.
3. Integrates enterprise applications and tools to meet desired functionality and provide a pleasing user experience.
4. Writes code that is clean, appropriately modular and reusable.
5. Troubleshoots and debugs applications.
6. Follows team best practices and standards, including change and source control procedures.
7. Creates and executes test plans validating expected functionality and ensuring no negative impact.
8. Creates technical documentation, such as design and specifications documents, and support material that is helpful, thorough, and trustworthy.
9. Works with Project Leads to complete assigned tasks within agreed upon scope and targets.
10. Updates project tool details according to departmental guidelines.
11. Resolves assigned support tickets at root cause and within a timely manner, updating the tickets with useful customer and technical notes.
12. Effectively and professionally communicates in person and in writing.
13. Supports a culture of continuous improvement in team processes, methods, tools, and resources.
Education: 2-year programming degree, certifications, or equivalent professional experience required.
Preferred Education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a relevant field or professional experience.
Experience: 5 years of professional server-side application development experience.
Expertise with MSSQL language and knowledge of database concepts and design. Working knowledge of CMS, version control (TFS or GitHub), responsive design, accessibility, and security compliance standards.
Attention to detail
Data gathering and analysis
Occasionally (16 – 45%)
Frequently (46 – 100%)
Office Equipment: Frequent use of a computer. Occasional use of a telephone and rare use of a copier.
Mental Demands: Frequent problem-solving, data interpretation, analysis, and reading/writing. Occasional decision making and organization.
Physical Demands: Frequent sitting. Occasional standing/walking.
Working Conditions: Indoor, Office environment.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, Responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.