Human Kinetics is committed to building a more diverse workforce. We welcome BIPOC candidates and others who identify with underrepresented groups to apply.
Salary Range: $61,800-$83,100
Eligibility for remote work: All functions of this position can be successfully performed remotely.
*We are unable to hire remote employees from the states of New York and California and the city of Chicago.
Ideal start date: July 5 through Sept. 1.
The acquisitions editor (AcqEd) is responsible for acquiring products that increase profitability and advance the editorial mission of the division. This includes conceptualizing new resources, recruiting and contracting authors, reviewing manuscripts, and guiding products through the development process. The AcqEd oversees physical education and related subject areas, including adapted physical education and PE products with a health education component.
1. Maintain a high awareness of developments in the field of physical education and related subject areas, including trends, competition, and advancements.
2. Cultivate and maintain a vast and respected network of subject matter experts within physical education and related subject areas.
3. Monitor the performance, profitability, and accuracy of published resources in physical education and related subject areas; recommend revisions or replacement as needed.
4. Prepare internal acquisitions proposals that contribute to the editorial mission of the division, analyzing project strengths, weaknesses, target market(s), and profitability.
5. Screen and recruit authors.
6. Provide guidance and direction to authors in their preparation of acquisition materials.
7. Negotiate agreements with authors, editors, contributors, literary agents, and others within the parameters discussed with, and agreed to by, the division director.
8. Work with authors and editors to ensure the manuscript adheres to the contracted parameters and all content is in line with HK standards.
9. Review and transmit the manuscript to Product Development. Work with internal staff to shape the project, and ensure budgets and schedules are met.
10. Contribute to the packaging of products, including consultation with the division director on title, cover and interior design, and marketing copy and materials.
11. Work with authors and internal staff to identify marketing, publicity, and sales opportunities for the division’s products.
1. Assist the director with strategic planning as required.
2. As the budget allows, attend conferences and trade shows to recruit authors and partners and represent the division.
3. Regularly evaluate published products to ensure and maintain quality and make suggestions to further promote the products and increase sales as needed.
4. Evaluate and assess unsolicited submissions; respond to inquiries from interested authors, agents, and partners.
5. Prepare reports on projects being pursued, in development, or recently published.
Required Education: Undergraduate degree in physical education or related subject area or in a publishing-related discipline.
Graduate degree in physical education or related subject area, or in a publishing-related discipline.
Required Experience: 3+ years of relevant experience in physical education or related subject areas, and/or professional certification(s) in those subject areas.
Preferred Experience: 3+ years of relevant experience in physical education or related subject areas, and/or professional certification(s) in those subject areas
2+ years of demonstrated success as acquisitions editor in professional, academic, or trade book publishing.
Attention to detail
Data gathering and analysis
Planning and organizing
Sociability and networking
Technical expertise and usage
Use of functional expertise
External strategic thinking
Office Equipment: Frequent phone, computer usage. Occasional copier usage and rare use of a fax machine.
Mental Demands: Frequent use of problem-solving, supervision, organization, and reading/writing skills.
Occasional decision-making and data interpretation.
Physical Demands: Frequent sitting, walking. Occasional lifting, flying, driving, and standing.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, Responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Credit Card Security:
This position has access to customer credit card data and must comply with all policies and procedures designed to keep that data from being compromised.
Working Conditions: Indoor, office environment.