Acquisitions editor (AE) wanted to acquire content for new products for the Academic Division, which provides resources to higher education and K-12 markets. Products will include textbooks, professional references, continuing education courses, online ancillaries for instructors and students, video, and more. The ideal candidate will have content knowledge and/or education in one or more of the following areas:
- Medicine and rehab in sport and exercise (athletic training, physical therapy, massage therapy)
The AE will conceptualize and acquire products by recruiting and working with authors at every stage of development, from the initial proposal through publication. The AE will collaborate with editorial, production, marketing, and sales staff to develop products and ensure their success. The position requires excellent analytical, writing, and communication skills; knowledge of the higher education market; and an ability to manage multiple projects at varying stages simultaneously. A strong ability to conceptualize, assess, organize, and present information is necessary, and previous acquisitions experience is ideal.
1. Maintain a high awareness of developments in assigned subject areas, including trends, competition, and advancements.
2. Monitor the performance, profitability, and accuracy of subject area resources; recommend revisions or replacement as needed.
3. Prepare internal acquisitions proposals that contribute to the editorial mission of the division, analyzing project strengths, weaknesses, target market(s), and profitability.
4. Screen and recruit authors.
5. Provide guidance and direction to authors in their preparation of acquisition materials.
6. Negotiate agreements with authors, editors, contributors, literary agents, and others.
7. Work with authors and editors to ensure the manuscript adheres to the contracted parameters and all content is in line with HK standards.
8. Review and transmit the manuscript to Product Development. Work with internal staff to shape the project, and ensure budgets and schedules are met.
9. Contribute to the packaging of products, including consultation with the director on title, cover and interior design, and marketing copy and materials.
10. Cultivate and maintain a vast and respected network of subject matter experts within assigned subject areas.
11. Work with authors and internal staff to identify marketing, publicity, and sales opportunities for the division’s products.
12. Take ownership of the assigned subject areas and continue to monitor sales and make suggestions even after products are in print.
Required Education: Undergraduate degree in one or more of the division’s subject areas or in a publishing-related discipline.
Graduate degree in one or more of the division’s subject areas or in a publishing-related discipline preferred.
Required Experience: 3+ years of experience in one or more of the division’s subject areas
2+ years of publishing, content creation, product development, or training-related experience
Professional certification(s) for select subject areas.
Preferred Experience: 3+ years of demonstrated success as acquisitions editor or relevant experience in related field.
Attention to detail
Planning and organizing
Sociability and networking
Technical expertise and usage
Use of functional expertise
Data gathering and analysis
External strategic thinking
Office Equipment: Frequent phone, computer usage. Occasional copier usage and rare use of a fax.
Mental Demands: Frequent use of problem-solving, supervision, organization, and reading/writing skills.
Occasional decision-making and data interpretation.
Physical Demands: Frequent sitting, walking. Occasional lifting, flying, driving, and standing.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, Responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Credit Card Security:
This position has access to customer credit card data and must comply with all policies and procedures designed to keep that data from being compromised.
Working Conditions: Indoor, office environment.